Monday, October 28, 2013

10.28.13

My First Baptism!

So this past Friday I had my first baptism of my mission! As well as my life! Like I said last week it was kind of rough when they went for their interview and Elder Solis wasn't there, and unfortunately Elder Solis was transferred this past week so I was nervous as to what would take place at their baptism without him. It's still hard for me to tell when Erica and Angelica are joking because I still don't fully understand everything and it's hard to judge sarcasm in a different language, but when it came time for their baptism they were both super excited! We got to the church however and we had no presiding authority, so that was kind of rough. Then we ran out of texting on our phone too so that was even more exciting! We eventually had someone show up so we could start the baptism! It was so much fun, and I loved seeing the smiles on their faces! I was also able to baptize a girl who is probably about 14 years old named Ruby Anne for the Sisters in Bago. After the service, she came and shook my hand and said "Thank You" in just the softest and sweetest voice ever. It kinda hit me. I didn't teach her, but I was able to baptize her and help her open the door to the Kingdom of God! It was kind of a cool moment.

After the baptism I was going through the pictures on my camera and I was deleting some pictures that the kids had taken and the button skipped and I accidentally pushed delete all pictures on this date. So I lost all the pictures from the baptism :( However the next day the primary had an activity at the church and I had to baptize for some sisters in our District so we just went back to the church and dressed back up and took some more pictures. Talk about a fun adventure for your first baptism. I can't really imagine what Erica and Angelica were thinking!!

I have a new companion this transfer, his name is Elder Cruz. He is from Manila, but was born in Bago City which is what stake we are a part of here. It's really cool because quite a few people remember him. He lived in Bago until was 6 years old. He's been out on his mission for 8 months, but he has only served in Cebuano speaking areas, and he doesn't really remember Ilonggo from his childhood, so our teaching is fun. We have Ilonggo, Cebauno, English, and probably some Tagalog thrown in there as well! I don't really know because I don't really understand much of other languages, and for all I know it could still be Ilonggo and I have just never heard it before lol.

Well, nothing else too crazy happened this week. Well I mean our bishop came back from Manila finally. He left in June for work and just got back on the 24th. However he goes back to Manila on Nov. 2. So it's kinda rough without a Bishop. Hopefully something changes there! Oh and this Saturday Elder Neil L. Andersen of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles is coming to our mission. I'm so excited to listen and learn from him!

Love,
Elder Walters

No comments:

Post a Comment