Sunday, July 21, 2013

7.11.13

Family and friends,

Simana Tatlo, "Nagapasalamat ako para sa mga pamilya nga walay katapusan!" (I'm thankful for eternal familes!)

So another week down, it's hard to believe I'm over halfway done here at the MTC. I also noticed on my Ministerial Certificate that it expires June 3, 2015. So Mom go ahead and mark that day down, cuz I imagine that's the time of my return! Not that I'm counting the time, but I'm sure you guys will! During the Devotional this week at the Marriot Center we heard from L. Lionel Kendrick and Emeritus Member of the First Quorum of the Seventy and his wife. One thing that really stood out to me during his talk was a quote that went something like "Make sure that you're here to serve the Lord, not to serve time." He went on to talk about how we aren't prisoners in jail. We aren't saving a time sentence. We should focus on our duty and our privilege to serve the Lord. I just thought that was a really cool way to put it.

So we continue to learn the language. It seems to get better every day, but then at times it seems to be awful. I still enjoy it though! We learn how to say things that mostly pertain to the Gospel, so carrying on a normal conversation would be hard, but I can pick out a few words here and there. I always want to typ some crazy sentence for you, but then it takes me so long to think something up in my head that I don't want to waste too much time, but I'll give it a shot. I'm going to pick some basic sentences pertaining to the gospel since that's all I really know just so you guys can see how it looks.

"After reading a scripture in the Bible, Joseph prayed to God. God and Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph. They told Joseph that none of the churches were true."
"Pagkatpos mabasa sang isa ka kasulatan sa Biblia, si Joseph nagpangamuyo kay Dios. Ang Dios kag si JesuCristo nagpakita kay Joseph. Naghambal sila kay Joseph sa walay-matuod nga mga simbahan."

Fun stuff huh? It's so fun to be able to talk and teach and communicate and actually understand what you're saying and what you're investigator is saying as well. The other day in class it was so funny because our teacher was trying to think of a sentence and what word to use, and she said "Ina pis pis", and then chuckled to herself because apparently it was funny, and we have no idea what she's talking about, but yet, I did, and I think mom might even remember this one! Then she says "Ano ang pis pis?" (What is pis pis?) She said "That bird." Really not that funny, but then when you say pis pis assuming people have no idea what your saying I guess it could be funny since pis pis sounds weird! Anywho, classes take so long sometimes, but we push through and usually learn quite a bit! It's all totally about your mindset.

We set ourselves some district goals the other day and one of them is an "English fast" every morning from 6:30-8:45 except on Sunday and Thursday. We try to not say anything in English at all. It's kind of fun. We're supposed to SYL (Speak Your Language) as often as we can, so our one teacher was like, why aren't you guys doing this all day every day, so that was annoying. I feel like nothing we do is ever good enough for her, and it's obnoxious! Our other teacher was like "that's such a cool idea, how'd it go this morning?" And the teacher who is like the leader for the Cebauno/Hiligaynon districts came in and was like "that's cool how'd it go?", and then she's like that's not good enough. So that's my little vent for the day! I'm over it! We still do what we can and what we're comfortable doing and it's fun.

Well another week has come and gone I'm still alive and well, other than a little cough and sore throat I've had for like a week, but I'll get over it! I hope to hear from you guys soon! Don't you go dying on me! ;) (Had to get my movie quote in there)


Palangga ko kamo!
-Elder Walters

No comments:

Post a Comment