Thursday, July 25, 2013

7.25.13

Kamusta Pamilya,

So it's so crazy to think that I'm not only leaving the MTC on Monday, but I'm leaving the United States. I can't really imagine living in another country, let alone being in another country since I've only been in Canada for all of like 5 hours maybe. I just want you all to know how excited I am tho! I know that being on a mission is where I'm supposed to be. I know that no matter how far away I am from home and from my family that the Gospel is still the Gospel, my family is still my family, and my Heavenly Father is still my Heavenly Father. It will be weird and different, but I know that I will be blessed and guided by my Heavenly Father, and that you will be blessed also! Palangga ko kamo!


So this week has been pretty crazy! This week I had the opportunity to be a host to the New Missionaries for the 2nd week in a row. Crazy scenario happened, one of the Elders I hosted was born in Ann Arbor, was in my BYU Ward last year, and his dad served in the Philippines, pretty nuts huh! Also Elder Pack and I got selected to demonstrate "How to Begin Teaching" to the new missionaries at the Wednesday Night Experience. So every Wednesday night the new missionaries have a big meeting where they split into 9 rooms and they have a different "investigator" in each room. They get to talk to the investigator a little bit, and then they say "The missionaries will be here any minute to begin teaching." That's where Elder Pack and I come in. We come to the door, introduce ourselves, ask if we can come in and share a message, ya know the basic missionary stuff. Once inside we just demonstrate how a first lesson should kind of go. We get to know the investigator a little better, ask a few questions and just try to build that kind of relationship that will help the investigator feel comfortable and loved. All the while we are still supposed to fulfill our purpose, "To invite others to come unto Christ." We only are there for about 5 minutes, and then they dismiss us and the new missionaries continue the lesson as a group. It's a really cool experience. I love the first reaction of the new missionaries when the moderator says "I don't know if you've noticed but the missionaries have left." Because after he pauses us and has the new missionaries talk with each other about what's happening he dismisses us and most of them never notice. So everyone gets a little nervous, it's kind of funny. Overall though it's an awesome meeting, and really gives everyone a taste of missionary work.

I want to thank you guys for the Package I got last week! I LOVED it! The picture album and collages are amazing and I love looking at them! The food is always nice for sure! I'm sure some of it will accompany me in my carry on, since I have to last 14 hours across the Pacific!

So as for my flight plans, we leave the MTC at 7:30 in the morning and head to SLC. Our flight leaves SLC at 11:20 and we fly to San Francisco, we arrive there at about 12:20 I believe and then we leave there at about 1:25. Then we fly across the good ole Pacific and arrive in Tokyo! I'm super excited for that! I think Tokyo will be a sweet place, not that I'll really experience much of it but still. Then I don't remember the times from Tokyo, but we fly from Tokyo to Manila and arrive in Manila at 9:55 pm. So if you follow all this, we leave SLC at 11:20 am on July 29, and arrive in Manila at 9:55 pm on the 30th. That's about a 20ish hour day of travel, gonna be a long day, but I'm super excited!

I don't know if you guys were able to watch any of those Mormon Messages or not, but I really loved the quote by President Monson in "Dare to Stand Alone." "May we ever be courageous, and prepared to stand for what we believe, and if we must stand alone in the process, may we do so, courageously, strengthened by the knowledge, and reality we are never alone, when we stand with our Father in Heaven." I know it isn't always easy to stand alone, but I know that through our Heavenly Father anything is possible. We can always be ourselves and be courageous if we exercise our faith in Christ and our Heavenly Father. He wants to help us, and will help us if we ask. Ang Dios ang aton Langitnon nga Amay, kag palangga Sia sa aton. (God is our Heavenly Father, and He loves us!)

My adventure is truly about to begin! I love all of you so much! I want you to always know that our Heavenly Father loves us and that he wants us to be happy. If we do our part that will always be true and I know that. I'm thankful for all the blessings I have in my life including each and every one of you. I know that it is because of my Heavenly Father that I have all that I have. Know that no matter how far away I am that I always love you, that I always think of you, and that I will always pray for you. Palangga gid ko kamo! Nagpasalamat ako para sa mga halimbawa ninyo sa akon. (I love you so much. I'm thankful for your examples to me!)

Palangga ko kamo

-Elder Walters

No comments:

Post a Comment